SERVPRO of D&Y's Essential Safety Tips for New Homeowners
It’s that time of the year again- caps and gowns are dawned, pictures are taken, and congratulations are given and received. Many college, and even high school graduates, are entering the real world and taking on newfound responsibilities, like landing a job or buying their first home.
Buying and owning your first home can be a tricky process, especially for those that have spent the last four years living with family, or in apartments with accessible maintenance resources.
There are many things to know about homeownership that directly relate to your safety and the security of your property.
The SERVPRO of Davie and Yadkin Fire and Water Experts suggest the following tips to best ensure the safety of new and seasoned homeowners alike.
- Familiarize yourself with your home’s main breaker panel and know how to shut off your electric
- Regularly test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Check for any frayed wires, or other electrical hazards that could lead to a house fire
- Ensure all coils and vents are clean
- Change air filters and clean all air ducts / vents
- Assess landscaping hazards that could potentially feed a house or property fire
- Assess whether or not your home is in a flood prone area
- Inspect pipes for rust, corrosion, or signs of leakage
- Locate your home’s main water shut off valve and know how to turn it off
- If you live in an area that experiences freezing temperatures, insulate any exposed pipes to prevent them from freezing and bursting
- Fiberglass, tubular pipe sleeves, or foil insulation are all great options for insulating your pipes in the winter
- Locate any foundational damage that could lead to flooding
- Inspect rain gutters and downspouts
Remember, emergencies are never 100% preventable, but they can be successfully mitigated with the right precautions. Starting these habits as a new homeowner will make it easier to maintain it long term- allowing you to live and grow peacefully within your home!
SERVPRO of Davie and Yadkin Counties has successfully assisted hundreds of North Carolina home and land owners in water damage mitigation, restoration and disaster recovery since their opening in 2011. If you are interested in updating your disaster mitigation efforts, SERVPRO of D&Y’s trained staff is here to help- available 24/7.
Contact SERVPRO of Davie & Yadkin Counties at 336-677-1415, or