SERVPRO 'Tis the Resource for the Season
Christmas trees are the staple icon of the holiday season, and have long been the chosen decor source of light, warmth and comfort. Unfortunately, Christmas trees, both real and fake, also exist as the staple seasonal fire hazard for SERVPROs, firefighters, emergency services, and hospitals across the country - as many people are not aware of the hazard they pose if not cared for correctly.
Did you know that firefighters respond to roughly 160 home fires caused by Christmas trees each Holiday season, resulting in over $10 million in property damages? Over half of these are the result of faulty electrical distribution in Christmas lights, made considerably worse by a dehydrated and dry tree.
Fortunately, proper care can protect Christmas trees, and prevent their merry perception from going up in flames. Trees are NOT dangerous when cared for properly, so check out these easy steps to ensure the safety of you, your family and your home this season.
- Use of lights that produce low heat, such as miniature lights, will reduce drying of the tree
- Always inspect light sets prior to placing them on the tree. If worn, replace with a new set
- Do not overload electrical circuits
- Always turn off the lights when leaving the house or when going to bed
- Monitor the tree for freshness. After Christmas or if the tree is dry, remove it from the house
- Find a recycling program near you to properly dispose of the tree
- Never burn any part of a Christmas tree in a wood stove or fireplace
SERVPRO of Davie and Yadkin Counties wishes everyone a safe, happy, and healthy holiday season. If your tree decides to become aglow with flames rather than twinkle lights, don’t hesitate to give us a call. Even during the holidays, we offer 24/7 emergency services - because your safety is always our top priority.
This is just another reason why SERVPRO should always be your go-to disaster mitigation and emergency service resource.