Water Removal and Restoration of Furniture Manufactured in Advance
Advance’s Economy Has Benefited Greatly from Nearby High Point’s Furniture Industry
North Carolina is widely known as a center for the production and marketing of high-quality furniture. The state’s long and storied history in the furniture industry dates back to the 1600s, long before the United States or SERVPRO were even established. This reputation has especially defined the area around High Point, the trade’s historical hub, in which the city of Advance is located. As the industry developed and expanded, it eventually became a major regional employer and economic contributor. It also garnered international prestige.
A Long and Storied Furniture-Producing History
During its early days as an English colony in the 1600s, the province attracted numerous artisans skilled in making functional furnishings. Following the American Civil War, tradesmen and the furniture businesses they fostered began to locate just outside Advance, around High Point, for the following reasons:
- The agricultural depression of the 1890s caused displaced farmworkers to migrate to cities in search of industrial jobs
- The city was located in an area with easy access to the dense hardwood forests of central and western North Carolina
- Its location at the junction of the main state road and the railroad made it an ideal place to bring in raw materials and ship out finished products
The first furniture manufacturer to locate in the Advance area, the High Point Furniture Manufacturing Company, did so in 1889. By 1900, there were over forty furniture producers near the small community. In 1909, all this development encouraged the start of the High Point Market, currently the world’s largest home furnishings trade show. With a larger population and a bustling economy came the need for more water, and with that, more water damaging events to properties.
An Economic Powerhouse
Modern facts concerning furniture production in the Advance area are astounding. The following information showcases just how important this business has been for North Carolina:
- After WWII, nearly 60% of all furniture made in America came from within a 150-mile radius of Advance
- In the 1980s High Point became known as “The Furniture Capital of the World”
- In the early 2000s, the state had more than 600 furniture manufacturers, produced $6 billion in products per year, and employed about 70,000 people
- A 2018 Duke University study found that the High Point Market added approximately $6.7 billion to the local economy
As you can clearly see, furnishings can be quite pricey. Call SERVPRO of Davie & Yadkin Counties at (336) 677-1415 whenever you need water removal services to protect these expensive possessions.
Why is SERVPRO So Effective at Removing Water from Your Advance Residence?
As experts know, it takes the right gear to achieve the best water removal results. This is why our skilled technicians always carry with them an arsenal of high-tech equipment. These tools, among other things, include:
- Moisture sensors/meters, thermohygrometers, and infrared cameras
- High-powered wet vacs and extractors
- Air movers and dehumidifiers
- Injectidry systems
- ULV and thermal foggers
Using everything at our disposal, we are often able to resolve big problems faster. This saves you both time and money, and keeps you from having to purchase new furniture!
With that said, SERVPRO of Davie & Yadkin Counties is always here and ready to assist you with all of your water removal needs. Call us anytime at (336) 677-1415.