What to do until help arrives: Fire damage in Advance, NC
What should you do or not do if you come home to your Advance, NC home to find you have suffered fire damage. Follow these tips to stay safe and protect your home.
- Limit movement in and around your home to prevent soot particles from being ground into your carpet and upholstery.
- Keep your hands clean, Soot soiled hands can create worse staining on walls and furniture.
- Use cardboard, old towels or poly sheeting to cover traffic areas.
- Empty your refrigerator and freezer if your power is disrupted and prop open the doors to prevent odor.
- Wipe soot particles from kitchen and bathroom fixtures and appliances and wipe with a lubricant to preserve the finish.
- Drain your water lines and hot water tank to avoid freezing pipes.
- Tape double layers of cheese cloth over registers to prevent soot particles from further contamination your HVAC system.
- Call SERVPRO of Davie and Yadkin Counties, 336 677 1415 to help fix your fire damage.
- Do not wash any walls or clean carpets, improper cleaning may set stains from the soot.
- Eat or save any of the food in the home during the fire.
- If water was used to extinguish the fire do not attempt to turn on appliances or ceiling fans.
- Wash clothing and textiles, improper cleaning may set stains from soot particles.
- Turn on ceiling fans or lights where ceilings are affected.