What to do until help arrives: Water damage in Wilkesboro
What should you do or not do if you come home to your Wilkesboro home to find standing water in your home? Follow these tips to stay safe and protect your home.
- Shut off the source! If you don’t know how or where your water shut off is, find it today! If you can not shut it off call a plumber.
- Cut power to wet areas by killing the circuit breakers, assuming the access to the fuse box is safe.
- Mop/shop vac up as much excess water as possible.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture.
- Remove and stack furniture cushions to allow air circulation to aid in drying.
- Place aluminum foil under the legs of furniture in wet areas.
- Remove and secure valuable and moisture sensitive items
- Secure long draperies out of reach of wet flooring
- Call SERVPRO of Davie and Yadkin Counties, 336 677 1415 to help fix your water damage.
- Enter rooms with standing water until electricity has been turned off.
- Leave books, newspapers, or other colored items on wet flooring to prevent stains.
- Use televisions, computers or other electrical items while standing carpet of flooring.
- Enter rooms with sagging/wet ceilings
- Turn on ceiling fans or lights where ceilings are affected