Advance and Bermuda Run Homeowners, do you know what your homeowners policy covers?
Do you know what you homeowners insurance covers? Many of us lay our heads down at night comforted by the knowledge that should something happen to our home it will be covered under our homeowners insurance policy. Homeowners insurance is a must have for anyone that owns a home, whether your have a mortgage or not. Your coverage should bring you considerable piece of mind, but there are things that are not covered on your typical homeowners policy. Some of these items we have covered before, but these issues are so important that we like to revisit them. For Example:
- Earthquakes/Floods. Earthquake coverage has to be purchased as a separate policy or as an add-on to you standard policy. The same goes for flood insurance which must be purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Sewage Backups: Sewage backups are not typically covered under your standard policy. Coverage for a sewage back up must be purchased separately. This coverage should be purchased or added to any homeowners policy.
- Termite/Bug damage: Termite and bug damage are considered by the insurance industry to be preventable and as such would not be covered. Make sure you have a termite inspection as a regularly scheduled part of your home maintenance plan.
- Burt Pipes: Most burst pipes are covered as “sudden and accidental” however if your insurance adjuster inspects the damages and determines that it is the result of a lack of maintenance then they would not cover the event.
- Trampolines: Some policies exclude items that they deem to be at a greater risk of causing injury such as trampolines or a diving board at your back yard pool.
In order to make sure you are not exposed to these non-covered items, schedule a meeting with your insurance agent and discuss the specific items covered and not covered. Use this list as a jumping off point to make sure you are protected. As a homeowner in Advance or Bermuda Run you can rest assured that SERVPRO of Davie and Yadkin Counties can assist with any water, fire or mold issues you may have. Just call our office at 336 677 1415.